Image Alt

The church

THE RECTOR OF THE CHURCH

The Rector of the Church, Fr. Gian Nicola Paladino OFMCap., Professor of Hebrew Language and Exegesis of the Old Testament at the San Pietro Theological Institute of Viterbo (aggregated to the Pontifical Sant’Anselmo University of Rome), takes tourists on a tour of the Church of SS. Conception, illustrating its historical, artistic and spiritual attractions. The guided tour also includes the ancient wooden choir. The accompanying activity is carried out in Italian and English and takes place on Saturday morning at 09:30. Reservations required with at least two weeks’ notice. A minimum participation of 10 people is required.
info@museoecriptacappuccini.it
paladinogiannicola47@gmail.com

MASS IN ENGLISH

Mass in English on the first Saturday of each month at 5pm. Reservations required with at least two weeks’ notice.
paladinogiannicola@gmail.com

Built by the Cardinal Antonio Barberini

The Church was built by Cardinal Antonio Barberini. His brother, Pope Urban VIII, blessed the first stone on 4 October, the feast of San Francesco and celebrated the first mass there on 8 September 1630. The design of the church is by the pontifical architect Michele da Bergamo (+1641).

Built by the Cardinal Antonio Barberini

The Church was built by Cardinal Antonio Barberini. His brother, Pope Urban VIII, blessed the first stone on 4 October, the feast of San Francesco and celebrated the first mass there on 8 September 1630. The design of the church is by the pontifical architect Michele da Bergamo (+1641).

the single nave

Like all the Capuchin churches, it has a single nave with raised side chapels closed by wooden gates. Only the central altar was built in marble, by the will of Urban VIII, whose coat of arms can be seen at the base of the two columns. A wall divides the presbytery from the Choir behind, which has three orders of seats with counters from 1739.

the single nave

Like all the Capuchin churches, it has a single nave with raised side chapels closed by wooden gates. Only the central altar was built in marble, by the will of Urban VIII, whose coat of arms can be seen at the base of the two columns. A wall divides the presbytery from the Choir behind, which has three orders of seats with counters from 1739.

The works of art

The Church was enriched with important and numerous works of art such as the Archangel Michael by Guido Reni, The mocking of Christ by Gherardo delle Notti, the Ecstasy of Saint Francis by Domenichino and others. The floor is covered with funerary tombstones, the first in the center near the steps of the main altar, is of Cardinal Antonio Barberini, founder of the Church and Convent, who dictated the words for the tombstone of his tomb: Hic iacet pulvis cinis et nihil (here lies dust, ash and nothing).

The works of art

The Church was enriched with important and numerous works of art such as the Archangel Michael by Guido Reni, The mocking of Christ by Gherardo delle Notti, the Ecstasy of Saint Francis by Domenichino and others. The floor is covered with funerary tombstones, the first in the center near the steps of the main altar, is of Cardinal Antonio Barberini, founder of the Church and Convent, who dictated the words for the tombstone of his tomb: Hic iacet pulvis cinis et nihil (here lies dust, ash and nothing).

HOW TO REACH US

e-mail: info@museoecriptacappuccini.it

TICKET OFFICE

Book the guided tour inside the Museum. Possibility of booking private visits or groups.

Opening hours

Every day from 10.00 to 19.00 ( 18.30 last admission)
Via Vittorio Veneto 27 00871 RomE
Tel: 06/88803695
info@museoecriptacappuccini.it

Shopping cart
There are no products in the cart!
Continue shopping
0